We had our December Mommy and Me Book Club session yesterday and it turned out great.
The book was just one that we had around the house that my son liked. It is called Frosty's New Friends and it is by Richard Cowdrey. The main reason I chose it was because it had lots of pictures, a very basic storyline, and pretty simple words. Our group ranged in age from 2-5 today, so I wanted to make sure to keep the attention of the younger kids.
Here's a brief outline of our day:
- Snowman puzzles from Confessions of a Homeschooler.
- Snowman name hunt- Each kid's name was on a piece of the snowman and hidden around the room. Each child found their piece and chose a spot for it to go on the snowman. It was fun to see them work together to build the snowman. He is a California snowman, so he needed sunglasses. 🙂
- Welcome song
- I'm a little snowman (sung to the tune of "I'm a little teapot")
- Once there was a snowman (with actions)
Story: Frosty's New Friends by Richard Cowdrey
Snack: Snowman on a stick (make sure to cut the tips of the skewers... they are sharp! We learned that the hard way).
We mostly just used ingredients we had around the house- bananas, pretzels, mini-chocolate chips, apples, marshmallows, and sprinkles.
- Snowman building with M&Ms from Confessions of a Homeschooler
We investigated the M&M patterns... and snuck some treats too.
- Snowball making and throwing: The kids made snowballs out of paper, tried to aim and throw them into baskets, and then played "catch the snowball" with a partner.
- Muffin Wrapper Snowmen- I loved the variations. I didn't give them a model, so each one was different. I had fun creating my own during naptime because they looked like so much fun to make!
My son made his with four arms and HUGE eyes. 🙂
- Goodbye song and then it was playtime while the moms got to chat!
Do you have a favorite snowman craft or activity?
I would love to share it as part of a snowman round up I am doing in January... so put the link in the comments.
You can check out our past Mommy and Me Book Club activities here:
November- Thanksgiving at Our House
October- Five Little Pumpkins
Have a fabulous day!
Leave a Comment