We are excited to be participating once again in Tinkerlab's Creative Challenge! This month the challenge was to create with egg cartons!
We are loving all things Spring at our house right now... so we tried out a new-to-me flower painting/creating technique and it was a smashing success!
- egg carton (clean/empty)
- pipe cleaners (optional)
How to create (our version of) egg carton flowers:
- Cut out your egg cartons into little pieces. Then snip them all the way around to make them look like flowers.
- Dip the egg cartons into your paint and then smear them around.
- Press onto your paper to make egg carton flower prints.
- Let the prints (and egg carton pieces dry)- see below
- Tape/glue egg cartons onto the prints- see below
- Add some stems using markers (first picture above)... or just add pipe cleaner stems to your egg carton flowers and display them in a vase (see below)
You can make a layered flower creation to display in your home art gallery or a few egg carton flowers to place in a little vase... and this will simply add a little Spring to your home.
I loved the vibrant colors in this activity and my son loved how his egg carton flowers made fireworks on his hands. I love how simple things delight 4-year-olds.
Things we learned while we created...
- what happens when we combine different colors
- how to get really messy
- names of new colors we didn't know before
- snipping egg cartons isn't too hard... and is great for practicing beginning scissors skills
- sometimes no matter how cool the painting tool is... hands are just the best
What have you created with an egg carton?
Make sure to stop by Quirky Momma to see the egg carton game I am sharing over there today too.
I am excited to be participating with so many awesome bloggers in this creative challenge. Check out their blogs by clicking on the different links below. I promise you will be amazed at all of the awesome ways to use egg cartons. If you want to share your own idea, head over to Tinkerlab and link up your idea in the creative challenge linky or come share it on our Facebook page! Happy creating!
Some of our past Creative Challenge entries:
Magazines: Hockey and Bowling!
Kindergarten & Preschool for Parents & Teachers
Leave a Comment