Painting is so much fun! We love to try using different materials and methods to paint. Have you ever tried splat painting? It is such a fun and creative way to paint!
This week we are having FOREST WEEK for Virtual Book Club for Kids and we are reading The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and making splat painted forests!
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR SPLAT PAINTING:
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.
- a copy of The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
- large roll of paper
- painters tape
- washable paint (different shades of green)
- brown cardstock paper strips
- double sided tape
- paper plate
- one pair panty house
- fillers (dried beans, rice, lentils, tennis ball, etc.)
DIRECTIONS FOR SPLAT PAINTING:
Get started by rolling out some paper and taping it down. Then grab some brown strips of paper and use them to create some trees!
The Gruffalo is set in the forest and it is FOREST WEEK for our Weekly Virtual Book Club for Kids so help your kids create an awesome forest on their large paper. Secure everything in place with double sided tape and then you are ready to paint!
To get the painting materials ready, cut off the legs on the panty hose and fill the toes with embellishments (dried beans, rice, etc.).
Tie a knot to keep the filler secure and then you are ready to paint!
Set out some paint. For our trees we used different shades of green.
Demonstrate first how to simply go up and down making splats on the paper with your splat painting materials.
You could even try with two hands! I always tell my kids that the goal is to stay on the paper... though they always get some *washable* paint on their clothes and the floor with this activity. It is a great one for outside if you don't like messes inside!
Once you are done creating your forest, peel off the white paper and then put some more out for freestyle splat painting!
This is my favorite way to paint! Do you have any other favorite materials to paint with?
Our Virtual Book Club co-hosts shared some awesome Forest Themed activities this week as well. Click on the links below to check them out!
- Math Trees- Teach Beside Me
- Printable Forest Friends Skip Counting Puzzles- Artsymomma
- Wood Slice Number Game- Rainy Day Mum
- Owl Science Activities- Preschool Powol Packets
- Log Pile House Building Challenge- Inspiration Laboratories
- Pre-Writing Worksheets and Gruffalo Writing Tool- JDaniel 4's Mom
- The Best Kids Activities for a Gruffalo Preschool Learning Unit- Mama Smiles