How do I entertain my toddler on a plane? Flying with kids is much easier if you are prepared! In this post we'll share 40+ simple airplane activities for toddlers (and preschoolers).
You don't need a ton of activities when you travel, you just need the right ones for your child! Pick a few of the activities below that your toddler might enjoy!
How do you find out what the right travel activities are for your child? You try them out!
Pick airplane activities for toddlers using materials your child enjoys, that are low mess, and that YOU feel comfortable with them using around other people.
Each time we travel, we bring a few known favorites and few new things to try. This keeps things fun and exciting. Toddlers may love something at home, but hate it once you're on the plane, so having a few things in your parenting travel tool box is key.
My travel motto is "expect the best and plan for the worst" when it comes to flying with kids. You can never be too prepared since anything can happen...
- Flights can be delayed/cancelled
- Bags can be lost
- Kids can get sick
- Kids can have hurt ears
- Things can get damaged
- Kids can be tired or not want to sit still
- Other people on the airplane can be loud
- You can forget things
- You can be tired
- Kids can fight with each other
- Kids can have meltdowns
...OR Kids can also be happy and engaged your entire flight (or most of it)!
Just remember...you're a good parent whether your child cries the whole flight or he's happy playing with his aquadoodle for two hours (or like 2 min... since that's a typical toddler attention span).
You're also a good parent if your child plays on the I-pad for a full flight. Travel days with kids are "no judgement" days. Do what works to help you survive the day!
RELATED: Road tripping soon? Here are our favorite activities and tips for roadtripping with toddlers.
Here are 40+ simple airplane activities for toddlers (and preschoolers!)
Toddler Approved is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my Disclosure Policy.
1. Stickers- stick them to paper, your body, clothes, books, tray table, etc.
2. Color Wonder Coloring Books (there are so many different themes to try)
3. Dry Erase markers (and Dry erase books)
4. Play-doh (Play Play-doh hide and seek or bring little tools)
6. Window Clings (I always get these in the Dollar Spot at Target)
7. Action figure toys/dolls (Paw Patrol, PJ Masks, etc)
8. Stuffed animals (fun to cuddle and play with... especially when you're waiting)
9. Squigz (These stick to the airplane windows- these ones are even bigger for little toddlers)
10. Toy cars and trucks (and paper with roads)
11. Snacks (snacktivities are awesome too, like animal crackers you can also play with!)
12. Hidden Picture Sticker Books
13. Toddler Busy Box/Bag by The Lean Green Bean
14. Barf Bag Puppets by Toddler Approved
16. Fruit Loop Necklace by Busy Toddler
19. Legos (Make a Lego take-along kit like Mama Papa Bubba)
20. Books (board books are durable and perfect for traveling)
21. Temporary Tattoos (just use some water and a napkin)
24. Stamps/stamp pad/paper
25. Post-it notes (add crayons to make a post-it travel pack like Family Fresh Meals)
26. Painters Tape (Make tape roads, tape toys to the tray table and rip them off, etc)
28. Imagine Ink sets
29. Felt board or Quiet Book
30. Wiki Sticks
31. Snack boxes by Somewhat Simple
32. Finger puppets
33. Markers for stacking
34. Portable Activity Kit by Mama Papa Bubba
35. Baby wipes to "clean the airplane" by Mother Could
36. Kinetic Beach Sand pack and small toys (put it in a small container or zip close bag)
37. Boogie Board
39. Water Wow books
40. Ipad and headphones (always a favorite and a tool we use when traveling)
41. Super STEAM Activity Book by Happy Toddler Playtime
42. Fingerplays and Songs by Anderson Music Therapy
What are some fun Apps for kids?
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Monkey Preschool Lunchbox
- ABC Mouse
- Toca Boca
- Fruit Ninja
- LEGO Duplo Trains
- LEGO Duplo House
- Toca Monster
- Toca Doctor
- Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Mr. Potato Head
- Daniel Tiger
- Painting with Peppa Pig
Leave a Comment