Inside this post we share an easy to make valentines activity for toddlers and preschoolers using a hot glue gun!
Need some valentine art ideas for preschool?
This hot glue heart art is super fun to make because it uses a tool that most preschoolers haven't tried yet. Kids really enjoy exploring hot glue guns. This is a simple way to introduce glue guns and give them freedom to practice using them.
How to use a hot glue gun with preschoolers
Here are a few of the tips I follow when I introduce a group of preschoolers to hot glue guns.
- Use a low heat hot glue gun.
- Introduce the tool to the group all together and explain the rules and where to hold it, place it when I'm done, etc. I demonstrate and the kids watch.
- Have mittens on hand for kids to wear the first few times as they practice.
- Have each child come to the glue gun station one at a time with me supervising.
- Review all the rules and how to hold the glue gun 1:1 with each child again.
- Then work with the child 1:1 to try the project and put the glue gun back where it belongs when we're finished.
- Repeat with each child.
As kids get more familiar with using the glue gun, I may increase the number of kids and glue guns at the glue gun station, but I usually stick with 2 kids at a time maximum so that I can supervise and make sure everyone stays safe.
WARNING: Glue guns should only be used by kids with adult supervision. Children should only use glue guns if they are able to listen and follow directions and are able to be safe with the hot glue.
- thick white paper (I use watercolor paper)
- hot glue gun (and glue sticks)
- cup of water
- watercolor paints
- craft tray (optional)
- Cut the watercolor paper into a heart shape
- Decorate the heart with a hot glue gun. You can make lines, shapes, dots, and more!
- Get out your watercolor paints, a paintbrush, and some water.
- Paint over the heart with watercolor paints.
- Let the heart dry.
- Display or give away to someone special.
More Valentine Art Ideas for Preschoolers
Here are a few other ways to do Valentine Art for preschool.
- Spin Art Hearts
- Shaving Cream Heart art
- Concentric Heart Art by Friends Art Lab
- Heart Suncatchers
- Foil Heart Valentines by the Artful Parent
Do you have any other favorite heart art activities you've tried with preschoolers? Tell me about them in the comments!