Inside this post we share a simple fizzy preschool activity for Halloween! This science experiment with pumpkins is easy to set up & so fun!
What is an easy pumpkin experiment for kids?
Fizzy pumpkin painting is an easy to set up science experiment that kids will love! It's the ultimate Halloween mash up because it includes painting, fizzy baking soda fun, AND pumpkins!
ART + SCIENCE is always a hit!
Toddler Approved is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my Disclosure Policy.
How to set up this pumpkin science activity?
1. Mix washable paint with a 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda. Mix together till you get the desired consistency. Repeat for each color of paint that you want to use.
2. Place paint on a plate or in a muffin tin.
3. Give kids pumpkins, paint, and paint brushes and encourage them to start painting!
This is a great Halloween art and science activity! Kid can explore color mixing, how gravity works as the paint drips down the pumpkin, and more!
4. Once kids are done painting, give them a dropper (or pipette) and some vinegar! Encourage them to squeeze the vinegar onto the painted pumpkin and watch what happens!
5. Then they can repeat! Paint again and add more vinegar.
Pro tip: Put your pumpkins on a craft tray to contain the mess.
This fizzy science experiment with pumpkins is fun for kids of all ages! I've done fizzy pumpkin painting with toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary schoolers! It's also an awesome activity for a home daycare or preschool!
What do kids learn with fizzy pumpkin painting?
As kids participate in this fizzy pumpkin science activity, they're learning a lot of things and building some new skills!
Skills that kids are building include:
- Fine motor skills as they hold the paint brush and as they squeeze and vinegar onto the pumpkin using their jumbo eye dropper.
- Color mixing and color recognition skills as they're mixing the colors and making new colors and as they're add paint to the pumpkins.
- Language skills as they talk about the colors they see and as they observe the pumpkins fizz.
- Observational skills as they watch the pumpkins fizz and they experiment with the paint.
- Prediction skills as they predict what will happen to the pumpkins.
- And more!
More Pumpkin Activities
Need more easy pumpkin activities? Here are a few of our favorites!