Need a simple painting activity? Try this Fall themed tape resist art activity! It's great for preschoolers, toddlers, and more!
As an elementary school teacher, I loved doing art activities with my students each week.
As a parent, I've loved exploring famous artists with my kids! It is cool to introduce them to new techniques and experiences.
Painting with kids doesn't need to be complicated or overwhelming. Start by finding an art material that you feel comfortable using with your kids- like painter's tape!
RELATED: Need other ways to paint? Try these 15 creative ways to paint with toddlers.
This Fall themed tape resist art activity is so quick to set up!
Toddler Approved is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
What you need to make your own fall themed tape resist art:
- Washable paint
- Painter's tape
- White construction paper (I like heavy weight) cut into a leaf shape
- Paint brushes (various sizes)
- Plates (or egg cartons)
We like to use big fat brushes when we're doing tape resist painting to make sure the whole paper gets covered with paint!
RELATED: A Fall themed cutting tray is another popular activity around here!
How to set up this Fall Themed Tape Resist Art Activity:
- Cut some heavy white paper into leaf shapes.
- Cut or rip some pieces of tape to make leaf vein designs on your leaf.
- Put some washable paint on a plate or in an egg carton for easy access.(we like to use Fall colors, like orange, yellow, and red)
- Paint over the whole leaf, even the tape!
- Let it dry thoroughly.
- Peel off the tape to reveal the white leaf vein lines! The contrast with the paint colors is so pretty! **Remember to peel the tape slowly.
Hang your leaves around your house for some Fall decoration, or clip them onto a piece of twine to make your very own Fall themed banner!
What is resist art?
When an artist does resist art, she artist covers portions of a surface with a "resist" layer to shape create designs, patterns, and other things.
In this activity, the artist created leaf veins using a "resist" layer (aka painter's tape).
When artists try to paint over the resist layer, the paint can't go through! When the tape is peeled off, it leaves the art project with white lines and creations to make a leaf with veins. It's so cool to watch!