For this week’s Camp Mom we’ve been enjoying Olympic water events! This means we’ve done a lot of swimming and playing with water.
We also have made a few water event themed craft projects. This cardboard boat was easy to make and has been even more fun to play with. I made the mistake of just making one with my son… and my daughter has been stealing it from him all week! I think I need to make another one asap.
This was partially a mom project because we used the hot glue gun.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own…
- hot glue gun
- thin cardboard (we used pasta boxes)
- flat toothpicks
- sticky labels
- template (I will add this soon… struggling with the scanner tonight)
1. Cut out the cardboard using the boat template above (or draw your own).
2. Hot glue the sides of the boat to the bottom piece and hot glue the ends together.
3. While it cools off, make some oars using toothpicks and sticker labels. We just stuck the labels around the toothpicks and then cut them at an angle.
4. Paint the boat and add any extra details. Let the paint dry.
5. Grab your favorite action figures (we love the Lego girls), stick them in the boat, and help them race around your house!
Not only are the cardboard canoes fun to use for pretend small world play, my kids have also just loved loading random things in them and using them to fly all sorts of little objects all around the house. By the way, I know these don’t totally look like the Olympic canoes… so you could also just call them rowboats… but since we’re going with an Olympic theme at our house, I’m calling them canoes! 🙂
Have you watched any of the water events? Which ones are your favorites? I’ve loved checking out the canoeing, rowing, and swimming.
I am also a HUGE fan of gymnastics, so we’ve been watching a lot of that. We have the Olympics on from 8pm to midnight every night and tune in while we are working on stuff. I will be soooo sad when they are over!
We’ll be sharing Olympic themed activities this week as part of Toddler Approved’s Camp Mom series in addition to a few other posts!
Here are the Camp Mom posts so far if you missed any…
Camp Mom Week 1: Camp Crafts.
Camp Mom week 2: Bug Week.
Camp Mom Week 3: Olympic Opening Ceremonies Activities
Make sure to stop by at the end of the week and link up your Olympic posts (or anything else you’ve been up to) in our Kid’s Co-op Linky!
PS- If you’re a newsletter subscriber, I apologize. The newsletter will go out soon… I have just slowed down a bit this month and have needed to refocus my priorities a bit. You can read about that here. The newsletter will land into your inbox soon. Have a great day!