How do you introduce Georgia O’Keefe to kids?
Georgia O’Keefe was an American artist best known for her large paintings of flowers, NY skyscrapers, and New Mexico landscapes.
READ: You can find so many great books about Georgia O’Keefe for kids HERE on Tablelifeblog.
WATCH: Georgia O’Keefe for Kids
Georgia O’Keefe Inspired Watercolor Resist Paintings
- White cardstock or watercolor paper
- Cups for water
- Paintbrushes (super cheap ones will fall apart, avoid them)
- Watercolor sets
- Crayons (tidier) or Oil pastels (messier)
- Artificial (or real) flowers
- Optional: Art trays to contain the mess
5. Now we are ready to paint! Kids can use whatever colors they want to paint their flowers.
** Remember to remove the brown/black first or just let them know we aren’t using those colors.
6. Remind kids to dip their paintbrush in water before they try and get color so that their brush doesn’t get thirsty.
Encourage kids to paint all the way to the edges of their paper.
7. As they paint, encourage them to observe what happens when the watercolors go over the crayon or oil pastels. Can they paint over those lines?
Do you have any other favorite art activities for kids inspired by famous artists? Please share them with us!