My kids are always full of energy and most of the time I love it! Occasionally when I am trying to get the baby down for a nap or concentrate on something, their never-ending energy can be annoying. Over the past few years I've helped my kids learn a few movement activities to help to channel their energy so things don't get broken in my house and I don't start yelling.
Today I've compiled my quick list of 25+ activities to help burn off toddler energy. I like to keep this list nearby so that if the kids need to get moving I can easily think of an activity for them to do (or they can read the list and pick their own).
I've included a printable list at the bottom of the post if you want to print out your own copy to keep on your fridge. These work for toddlers, preschoolers, and older kids!
25+ QUICK ACTIVITIES TO BURN OFF TODDLER ENERGY
Click on the links included in the list below for more details.
1. Play Red Light Green Light
2. Set up a toddler circuit training workout
3. Blow bubbles and have your toddler chase them
4. Build forts out of blankets
5. Build plastic cup towers and knock them down
6. Play broom hockey
7. Jump in puddles
8. Draw a path with chalk on the driveway and have your toddler follow it
9. Play "don't touch the floor" and make a pillow hopping path from one side of the room to the other
10. Start a family jogging club
11. Put a mattress on the floor and let your child jump on it
12. Bounce on an indoor/outdoor trampoline
13. Go on a bug hunt
14. Ride around the block on bikes or scooters
15. Go to the playground and create an obstacle course
16. Join Hike It Baby! a national movement of parents taking kids out for hikes (USA only)
17. Kick or throw the ball or frisbee and have your toddler go get it and bring it back
18. Use painters tape on the carpet or floor to make obstacle courses, ladders, and zig zags
19. Have a dance party, turn on your favorite tunes
20. Have a game of pool noodle hockey
21. Play "head shoulders knees and toes," "the hokey pokey" and other song games that get kids moving
22. Have a few friends over for a playdate
23. Play a craft stick movement game
24. Go to open gym time at a local gymnastics place
25. Give your child a large bucket and a ball to throw into it
26. Play pool noodle basketball
27. Make a tunnel and crawl through it
28. Do some whole body splat painting
What are some of your favorite ways to help your toddler burn off some energy? Please tell me about them in the comments!