I loved this Royal Bunting idea from What Katie Did Next, so we decided to make our own version using sponges instead of potatoes to decorate for our royal wedding party. It was a bit simpler prep for me (cause I tend to be a lazy crafter!).
Materials Needed: several pieces of cardstock, a sponge, some corrugated cardboard pieces, red & blue paint, scissors, white yarn, and tape.
1. Cut your cardstock into penant shapes. I made 12 (two per sheet of cardstock).
2. Cover your paper plate palate with blue paint. Dip the whole surface of the sponge into it and then print onto the white cardstock penants.
3. Keep stamping until each penant is covered. We had to redip a few times.
4. Let dry.
5. Use the edges of the corrugated cardstock to make the flag lines. Stamp the cardboard into the red paint and print again and again on top of the flags.
6. Let dry.
7. Using tape, stick a long strand of yarn to the back of each penant to string them all together to make your bunting.
8. Hang and start getting ready for your party!
Our menu for the kids includes fancy shmancy cupcakes (I used fondant for the first time and made little flag cupcake toppers), my favorite digestives and shortbread cookies, fruit, itty bitty sandwiches, and lemonade with some stylin Will & Kate straws.
The princesses (and princes) are coming all decked out in their favorite fancy outfits... and we'll start off the party making them some royal crowns. I can't wait!
Are you doing anything fun to celebrate the Royal wedding?
If you're not into that sort of thing, these could easily be adapted for the 4th of July or other patriotic holidays!